Saturday, April 20, 2013

artichokes forever


An Izmir artichoke requires, from
us to fully savor its unique taste, a
high level of concentration and more time
to chew before swallowing its leaves, stalks
and small heart. A child is, by definition,
a person of the immediate moment, responding
to what s/he thinks (indeed, feels)
urgent and essentially not very much different
from ‘contemporary urban human
being’. S/he rarely has reached that level
of concentration (enough for enjoying the
artichoke) until age 12, or even 14 for a
boy, thus, almost no enjoyment borne out
of the experience. I avoided the experience
as much as I could, until one point
around the age of 15 or 16, when I came
back home from boarding school during a
spring break. Upon my mother’s insistence
that I should taste it this time (‘it will be
different’ she said), I tasted a small bit of
the heart and stalks floating in the olive oil.
I continued with sucking the leaves, and
my mind/brain allowed me to keep the stuff
in my mouth and fully concentrate on the
taste. I never said no to artichokes in my
lifetime since then. Not only the pleasure
I had was heavenly, but the awareness of
my being able to enjoy the pleasurable-not
at first bite artichoke was telling me that
I had transitioned to a different phase of
my life and my brain had begun working
differently. Urgency and immediacy would
not be able to rule my life as intensively as
they did before.






No comments: